[ale] Fun(?) with wireless

Bridges, Doug DBridges at alston.com
Thu Apr 29 15:32:00 EDT 2004

I just moved into a new house, and I think that I would like to implement a wireless network.  I am going to be getting a wireless laptop from work later this year, and I would like to have my home network setup when I get it.  Currently, I have BellSouth DSL running into a Linksys ethernet router.  My home machine is connected into this router.  However, I do have a ThinkPad with a detached screen that is not in use.  It has an internal PCI ethernet card, and I have a PCMCIA Linksys WPC54G 802.11g
networking card.  I was thinking that I could setup the laptop as a wireless access point so I wouldn't have to buy a different router.  The problem, as I see it, is that the Linksys card does not have native Linux drivers and that I would need to use ndiswrapper to get it working.  My knowledge of wireless networking is not that good, but from what I can tell at the ndiswrapper home page (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net), I can only use ad hoc and managed mode, not master.  Anyone know if it is possible
to set up a wireless access point using this hardware?

Thanks for the advice.

Doug Bridges
Alston & Bird LLP

NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it
may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its
attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone
(404-881-7000) or by electronic mail (postmaster at alston.com), and