[ale] Linux Cluster Server Room

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Mon Apr 19 11:38:51 EDT 2004

I'll give you my 2 cents about clusters and UPS's if you wish.

A good cluster configuration will treat each compute node as
an appliance. You don't really care about it too much and it
doesn't hold any data of any importance. What you care about
is the master node and/or where the data is stored These
machines can have their own UPS or a single UPS to cover
the machines (they may be more than one). Then take the cost
savings (if you can) and put them into more nodes, or a better
interconnect (if needed), or a large file system, or a better
backup system, or .... well, you get the picture.

Thinking of only putting a UPS on the important parts of the
cluster will save you money, time, and headaches. However,
if you put a cluster in a server room you can have all power
covered by a single huge UPS and probably a diesel backup
generator as well. This goes back to the purpose of a server
room - to support independent servers, not clusters. While this
is nice and good, it is somewhat wasteful. If you could have
a combination of UPS/Diesel backed power and just regular
conditioned power, that would be more economical. However,
the budgets for clusters (computing) and the budget for facilities
are never really seen as related by management. Even though
they come out of the same overall pot within the company (or
university), management has a tendency to compartmentalize
things for easy managing (and the definite lack of brain power
on the part of most managers). Try arguing that you really
don't need the giant UPS/Diesel combo and you will get IT
managers screaming all sorts of things about you. Sigh.

Of course, these comments depend on your cluster configuration.
If you are running a global filesystem across all of the nodes,
so that each node has part of the filesystem, then you might
want to think about a good UPS for all of the nodes (try
restoring a 20 TB global filesystem from backup after a
power outage).

Good Luck!

Jeff