[ale] (no subject) SPAM talk...

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Apr 17 18:15:04 EDT 2004

	OK, I have deleted enough of this thread to cause the "Delete" type on my
delete key on my keyboard to almost wear off.  It is the same stuff as
before:

	Drew: tired of spammers but not willing to learn how to code and then code
or hire US coders or even foreign coders to fix everything.  Has an idea
that will have some small effect and should be implemented, but will, as
stated before, have a small effect.  Is frustrated with spammers and of
coders who will not do his (and other frustrated spam victims) bidding.

	Others: can code, but not willing as they get paid by the hour and need to
pay the mortgage.  If it doesn't generate revenue, it probably won't get
done (example: me).  This group hates spam, but doesn't have too much
trouble, as they don't give out their address and they do as much as they
can to stop it.  Spam level: 1-4 / day.  Tired of thread and useless
arguments.  Understand that truth is often between 2 opinions.  Strong
belief in keeping silent until they have a coded solution.  Owns a keyboard
with "Delete" key whited out from overuse.

	Others #2 : can code and they get lots of spam.  Would rather fight with
Drew than code a solution or ignore Drew and thus preventing the thread to
exist.

	Others #3 : can't code, don't want to code. Get lots of spam. Too busy with
spam to pay attention to thread, otherwise they would get behind in their
spam deletion tasks.

	Others #4:are out at the Renaissance Festival or the Big Shanty Festival
blissful and who don't' care about spam.

	Spammers : no change

	ALE list admin: no change

	Overall status:  Same as before, no code, no solution, no changes to ALE
list, all are unhappy. Score : 0 all.

	Overall recommendation: Unless it is backed up by code (like OpenBSD's
spamd) don't waste any more time on this thread.  Instead let's spend a
session of the NW ALE meeting to show how we prevent spam on an individual
basis.  Drew can show us his ways.  Others can show how they use tar pits,
spam assassin,procmail,lists, and whatever to stop spam.  I think there was
one on this topic before, but we can do it over.  I volunteer to show how I
use the different browsers on MS and Linux to stop ads, how to configure
Outlook to delete spam, and how OpenBSD's spamd works.

Is this a good summary of the situation ???  Until a solution is provided
please talk (not *post* !!) amongst yourselves on the topic: MS - proof of
business Darwinism or is Darwinism itself flawed ?

Greg - who is going to now join Others #4

<-- HUGE SNIP -->