[ale] (no subject)

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Apr 16 00:06:54 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 21:22, you wrote:
> The very nature of spam requires that it be stopped at the domain that it
> originates from. IMHO, there is no other way to deal with it.
> Marvin Dickens

You are partly correct. This year, I have gotten 3 types of spam:

1. Spam to the domain in general. There is a "new" type of spam that is
designed to tell those using email accounts for my domain that there is a
virus in the domain's email system. It doesn't seem like this spam would be
very effective - but that's just my opinion - obviously it works well enough.

2.  Spam from infected M$ computers. When will Microsoft grow up and stop
this? Basically, the email-virus-that-you-can-download-from-thousands-of
websites-and-modify exploits the address book of a microsoft email client.
Fortunately, I don't get much of this spam.

3. Spam from harvesting. The ALE list is the ONLY list that I am registered
for that purposely broadcasts the email addresses so that they may be easily
harvested and spoofed. Yahoo groups, Austing Linux Group, the local PHP
group, and the forums that I register for have simply hidden the email
address so that it is NOT easy to harvest. ALE on the otherhand tacitly
ENDORSES spam WHILE hypocritically shaming spammers. While the ALE has
implemented a system that would stop this problem on a mirrored server, the
most public server still allows the exploit. Ironically, there are admins and
programmers on this this. Spam related to ALE accounts for most of the spam I
get. Anytime I hear complaints about spammers, or complaints about Microsoft
fixing their software, I reflect on the fact that "the best" programmers
don't either.

I realize that I am part of the problem; All I have to do to drastically
reduce spam is unsubscribe.

The spam that the ALE list gets can best be dealt with at the domain:
"ALE.org"

"Until we do our little share to keep ourselves from being victims, we might
as well turn the semi-automatic weapons we fantasized about on ourselves."
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com