[ale] SO vs OO

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 6 20:33:59 EDT 2004

Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2004 13:03, Pete Hardie wrote:
>

>> I have to ask - what are they doing that is so complex in
>> *PowerPoint*??? All the complexity I've ever seen is eye candy - OO
>> does backgrounds, object positioning, and scripting as well as PP.
>

> You missed my point: BOO, SO and MSOFFICE are all suites that have
> applications that work together. In any of these suites, if I have a
> presentation and a word processing document, you can have interaction
> between the word processing document, and the presentation document
> through API's. This is why power users like business suites: For the
> ability of the different apps to share data.  Powerpoint
> presentations, by themselves, may be *only* eye candy. But the data
> that composes the eye candy and it's proper display are the
> underlying issues.

Yes, but that consists of about .1 % of M$ Office users.  In my 26 years
with AT&T, 99% of M$ Office documents were either PP, Word or Excel,
with no interaction between any two.  The few times I found people doing
such document interaction, it was because they didn't have the right
tool or the right knowledge...