[ale] linux and apples

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Sep 23 22:46:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 18:22, da Black Baron wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 11:26, aaron wrote:
>
> > Apple's [Jobs'] concept of "user friendly", notably that OSeX and Aqua
> > lack multiple work spaces and most every other GUI customization feature
>
> Actually, I saw a multiple-workspace add-on for OSX the other day when I
> was helping my brother-in-law setup his i-book for OSX.  Seems like it
> was on the OSX applications page...

Cool! Thanks! Inspired me to hunt around a bit. The Apple.com site was
useless, but a quick google on ' Multiple workspaces "OS X" ' brought me to
an article about a very recently released "Workspaces" OSeX shareware utility
as the top hit:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/09/20030909104334.shtml

with a link  to:
http://www.truckersoftware.com/products/workspaces/

Looks to be the kind of extension I was looking for and one that I can
download and demo before committing $15 to it. Still... IMO... this is the
kind of GUI feature and user extensibility that should simply be part of the
system environment from the start. ( Though it may just be that I'm horribly
spoiled by all my years in customized Amiga and Linux environs... :-)

My other hurdles are that the Mac's are our bread and butter production
machines, so any hacks have  to be EXTREMELY stable and program friendly. The
owner is exceptionally cost conscious too, so getting him to spring for any
non-essential shareware is going to be it's own brand of "interface" issue.

peace
aaron