[ale] upgrading glibcx to glibc2.2.4...........

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Sat Sep 20 13:24:02 EDT 2003

>Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:26:38 -0500
>From: Courtney Thomas <ccthomas at joimail.com>
>To: matty91 at bellsouth.net, Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: Re: [ale] upgrading glibcx to glibc2.2.4...........
>
>Thank you for the kind assistance.
>
>I'll try it ASAP.

Warning, warning, *warning*, Danger Will Robinson!
Be SURE to read /usr/src/UPDATING & follow its instructions
*to the letter*, lest Bad Things(tm) can happen...

Example cvsup config files are in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/*.

Also see http://www.cvsup.org/

>Courtney
>
>matty91 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>>Building kernels and "the world" is really easy. Here is my
>>cheat sheet:
>>
>># cvsup -g -L 3 /etc/cvsup/src.conf
                ^  verbosity level past 2 is not documented
                   & afaik reverts to 2

>># rm -rf /usr/obj/*
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not strictly necessary; "make
    buildworld" takes care of that

>># cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>># cp GENERIC OSCAR
>># Customize OSCAR or use a prior KERNEL build
>># Add IPFILTER/IP STACK options to OSCAR
>># cd /usr/src
>># make buildworld
>># make buildkernel KERNCONF=OSCAR
>># make installkernel KERNCONF=OSCAR
>># boot to single-usermode (I don't boot to single user mode)

Booting single-user is a Good Thing for this stage :)

>># make installworld
>># mergemaster
>># sh /dev/MAKEDEV all
>>
>>>I'm ashamed to say that I started back with 2.x and have leaned almost
>>>nothing since it is so solid and needs no attention. But I do need to
>>>since it is the server for about 10 computers.
>>>
>>>As far as add-ons, there are many packages and ports installed.
>>>
>>>What are the advantages of Mozilla  ?

Mozilla is the "basis" for Netscape, which is typically a couple
of releases behind Mozilla.  See http://www.mozilla.org/

>>>What is Mozilla-Firebird ?

Mozilla, less mail & news, etc (e.g. browser only) &
reportedly the direction the Mozilla project is taking with
its browser & email client, etc.

>>>I did delve into the upgrade system but it was daunting and I didn't
>>>have a spare machine, so that was the end of that.
>>>
>>>Cordially,
>>>Courtney

FreeBSD's update/upgrade/maintenance system *does not
touch* "production" bits (e.g. /bin, /usr/bin...); only
locally-run commands/scripts do.  You can run the update
system & completely trash what it does & still not touch
the parts that are actually booted/running.

The FreeBSD Handbook (available online & in print) is Your Friend. :)

-kc