[ale] Questions about DVD-R

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Wed Sep 17 10:56:33 EDT 2003

OK, so maybe I jumped the gun and ordered a DVD-R, DVD-RW drive (Toshiba
SDR-5002) before I asked the tough questions.  I think I've read enough
to understand a little about the thousands of DVD formats out there.  If
I understand correctly the dvdrecord software will not write session or
tracks but has to write disk-at-once to DVD-R disks.  Is that right?
What about CD-R, is it also limited to disk-at-once when writing a CD-R
in a DVD writer?

Is there a way I can get back to the flexibility of my CD writter, where
I can have multiple session on a DVD and/or write track at once, etc. or
am I doomed to having a way to generate lots of data but at the loss of
flexibility?

Thanks,
Jim.