[ale] Re: HP buys two new GVs - now well OT

Gregory C. Johnson MailReply at GregJohnson.Com
Tue Sep 16 13:14:29 EDT 2003

Mmm, not to meddle in the affairs of wizards, but I happen to...

A) have a been in a parked GV ("Mercedes")
B) have been in an airborne Citation IV ("Honda civic")
C) Seen the hourly operational cost for said IV ($2k, IIRC), and heard the
the fractional buy-in number (250k? 1M? Memory fades)

Based on my minor exposure to that world, I'd speculate that, for the
Citation  TCO/people-mile >= 2 x spot price commercial airfare.  Example:
ATL-DFW is a ~2.5 hour flight, and say a conservative $1000 in ownership
overhead.  At the CIV's 7 passenger capacity, that's ~$800/head.  But wait,
there's more - more flying that is.  Those numbers are one-way, so our round
trip is ~$1600, best case.

The highest ATL-DFW-ATL fare I could find departing today returning tomorrow
was ~$650.  Thus, the "Honda Civic" of airplanes is roughy 2.5 times spot
commercial fares before any corporate discounts.

Now, private air does save two hours of futile & ineffective security
screens played out for the sheeples' benefit.  Still, those execs better be
making $500/hr each.  That's $1M per 2000 hour year.  Even HP probably
doesn't have 5 planes x 10 seats = 50 people making over a million a year.

Considering the GV is at least 35-ish million more than the CIV...

-Greg

Warning: This post might be worth what you paid for it.