[ale] Re: HP buys two new GVs

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Sep 15 22:50:35 EDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> Bob - I completely agree that corporate aircraft can save the company both
> executive time and real money. The purchase of 5 new aircraft at a time
> when jobs are being outsourced overseas, and apparently corporate
> financials aren't quite what they might be (I don't follow HP), strongly
> suggests to me that these aircraft are executive bragging rights, not a
> business investment. If the top executives have not cut their total income
> (like that will ever happen), to help with the new equipment for
> themselves, the executive suite is pumping itself up in importance at the
> cost of the rest of the company.

I think you're mis-reading things. HP has corporate shuttles between some of
its West Coast campuses. That's fairly common for some of the larger IT
companies -- Intel has a few flights up and down the West Coast every day as
well, for example. If you regularly need to have employees travelling
between your offices, it can be far more cost-effective to fly them yourself
than to put them on commercial flights....

later,
chris