[ale] PCMCIA Setup, Compaq Presario 2110us

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:28:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Daniel Auchenpaugh wrote:

> Howdy folks,
> Finally got myself a laptop so I could run linux, and now I'm having
> PCMCIA problems. I'm trying to run Mandrake 9.1 on a Compaq Presario
> 2110us and when PCMCIA tries to start up, the system hangs.

What exactly do you mean here? When it boots up and detects the cardbus
controller, or when you try to use a cardbus adapter for the first time? The
latter's usually a need to exclude in config.opts. The former might be that,
but it might be worse....

I don't have that laptop, but I have an AMD mobile Athlon and they're all
the same ALi / ATI / AMD hardware. On mine, I've had no major issues running
the Red Hat betas with either 2.4 or 2.6-pre kernels as long as legacy USB
support is disabled in the BIOS except with orinoco_cs cards (they work, but
only after the machine has warmed up for a bit. Other PCMCIA / CardBus works
instantly after bootup). Check that, check that your BIOS is the latest
revision, and try something like:

exclude irq 1
exclude irq 2
exclude irq 3
exclude irq 4
exclude irq 6
exclude irq 7
exclude irq 8
exclude irq 9
exclude irq 10
exclude irq 11
exclude irq 12
exclude irq 13
exclude irq 14
exclude irq 15

in config.opts (irq 5 is probably safe).

later,
chris