[ale] Network intrusion

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 25 23:58:27 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:44:33AM +0900, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> George Johnson wrote:
> >I rather hurriedly installed a new wireless network device before I left
> >for Florida as my old one had been hit by lightening.  I did not take
> >time to secure it.
>
> uh, huh.
>
> >I just wanted it up for my roommate who does not use
> >the internet much but might need it once in a while when I was gone.
> >When I got back I found someone had decided to use it in the bottem
> >floor apartment.  I immediatly cut him off by blocking his MAC and
> >restarting the router.  I am going to Florida again for about a week or
> >so and want to mess with him when I get back.  Is there any good hacking
> >programs I can use to attack his system and leave nasy grams on it for
> >him to see?  I would love to scare the pants off of him and make him
> >wish he had never thought himself so smart as to get on my network in
> >the first place.

> Maybe his intent was not malicious.  Lots of people/places offer free
> public wi-fi.  Linux Journal featured such places in their Sept03 issue.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue113&file=index

	Never attribute to malice what can be explained by human stupidity.
BOTH SIDES.  Shmuck in an apartment complex near da Ronney Ray-gun here in
Gwinnett County has an AP named 'Bob's Net'.  Keep meaning to let Bob know
his net is indecently exposed.  Ran across a medical complex with one that
was named "Too Many Secrets".  I still need to tell them - not enough secrets.

	It's way too easy to grab the wrong AP and not mean to.  It's way
too easy to set these things up and not pay attention to security.  Set one
up for my son (yes, the one who had the accident) and we were discussing
external antennas...  We figured if we really DID hang that 11 dB Omni on
that card, they would be war-chaulking Ashford Dunwoody (way outside
the complex).  [No, we decided not to hook the billy-club to the card even
though we thought it would be amusing to see if we could reach it from the
office.] WEP encryption is LAME, to say the least, and very VERY few people
are competant to set up something even half way decent.  A lot of people
don't care [Again - BOTH SIDES].  If you are a, err, uh, client and are use
to finding open access points and you find one, what do you expect?

	As long has they have their pants on and are not driving the wrong
way down one-way streets, that is...

	<http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/22/1936213&mode=thread&tid=123&tid=137&tid=193&tid=99>

	Maybe your neighbors may not have realized they were on your nickel.
You don't need to cut their balls off, just cut them off.  You may find that
they don't even notice that they are now using their own bandwidth.  If they
bitch to you about your quality of service, then you have just cause to cut
their balls off.  Do so, at that time, without malice or undo pain.  They
don't need to reproduce, but they don't need to be tortured unduely, either.

> Also check out http://www.wififreespot.com/

> --
> Lost in Tokyo,
>   Keith