[ale] gostscript question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Nov 15 09:00:24 EST 2003

Hi Walter,

The "ps" command should be usable for any user from the command line.
Just type in "ps auxww" and hit the "enter" key. (/bin/ps is a common
location for the command. /usr/bin/ps is another. The "auxww are "flags"
that tell the command to out put in certain formats. "man ps" will give
a load of information on what each flag does, but in a rather terse
format.)

A pair for useful command to know:
"which <command name>" will find the the full path for the command
<command name> (replace the entire thing, even the <> with the command
you have lost). NOTE: this only searches the PATH you have as whatever
user you are. Root user has a different path than a non-root user.
"locate <name>" fill find all instances of the text <name> in any file
or command name on the entire system. It is not installed on every
machine, but it is on RedHat and Suse. It uses a nightly process to
search and archive the names of every file in a small database. It can
return huge screenloads of matches so it is ofter used (in very simple
form) "locate <name> | less" so it only return one screen at a time
which can be advanced with the space bar.