[ale] (OT) event recording

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Nov 12 10:23:08 EST 2003

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 November 2003 09:55 am, Charles Shapiro wrote:
>
>>Uh. Michael and I are discussing this.
>><snip>
>>Another possibility is to go directly to digital via a laptop, sound
>>card, and mike? And I have an Archos Jukebox 20 hard-disk based mp3
>>player/recorder with an integrated mike. But the battery doesn't last
>>too long. Hmm. As I say, we're still discussing this.
>

> I'm willing to try something tomorrow night.  I think the audio input jack on
> my laptop work, though I haven't tried it.  I'll try to scrounge up a mic and
> record tomorrows meeting.
>
> Can I get some recommendations for a way to record directly to ogg (or speex
> or mp3)?  I don't think I have room for a full wav file of the meeting, so
> I'd like to go directly to a compressed format.  I've never done that,
> either.  I'm willing to try to set it up tonight for tomorrow's talk, but I'd
> appreciate some advice.

Just played with 'rec' last night and it appears that it should be able
to accept standard out as the output file, but I wasn't able to get to
work.  If one could get it to work it would be possible to do something
like:

rec - |gzip -9 > output.wav.gz

but, as noted, that syntax did not work.  rec/play are scripts that call
sox in the event someone has some time to look into that.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net