[ale] ATI Radeon - OpenGL/3D graphics not enabled

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 10 18:41:15 EST 2003

Thompson,

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:01, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> I installed an ATI Radeon 9000 on a 1.8Ghz Celeron running RH9 yesterday,
> hoping to get to my first machine capable of 3D hardware accelerated
> graphics. You noticed the operative tense of "hoping". The OS recognizes
> the new board apparently correctly, I checked a little box for 3D
> acceleration, but X doesn't come up with 3D acceleration.
>
> I poked around the RedHat site for a while and found nothing I recognized
> as useful, and visited the ATI site where I found an updated XFree86
> driver in rpm format. I installed the rpm, but still no joy once getting
> through the configuration effort. A quick google effort didn't suggest
> anything to me, although it was _quick_.
> Anyone have a clue that they can afford to share?

	I don't think XFree86 will currently do 3D accelleration.  You'll have
to go to the ATI site, and download their driver for that.  From what
I've read, their Linux support sucks.  At least it did a couple of
months ago when I checked.  Unfortunatly, NVidia does a better job.  I
said "unfortunatly" because at this time, the Radeon series blows the
top flight NVidia cards away, and you have a Radeon ;-).

	HTH, and good luck!

Danny