[ale] Question for Debian users

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Nov 9 20:14:20 EST 2003

On Sunday 09 November 2003 20:02, Greg wrote:
> I was looking at Debian (as RH and Suse seem to be waning these days and I
> have a more deep resentment over upgrading as I get older) and I was
> wondering why Debian users like it over something like Suse or RH ?  I was
> also wondering what y'all do for a version upgrade ? is it simply a "build
> my pc" command and presto - the new os is done ?  Does Debian keep up with
> the latest kernels and linux apps ?  Is it stable ?  The homepage info
> makes it seem to be a pretty impressive system.
>
> Also, anyone have any experience with Debian on a Sun sparc64 box ?

What I like best, is that IS stable.  It is very well tested, and very uniform
in it's behavior across packages.   Debian has 3 "versions" available at any
one time "stable", "testing", and "unstable".  Stable is just that, and
consequently it is behind on many version, though Debian does an excellent
job of providing updates for security bugs, even to the stable system.
Testing and Unstable are progressively more modern, and more in flux.  Even
unstable works "fairly well" most of the time, but you can run into problems
from time to time, if you update unstable a lot.

The other thing that is great, is apt - it's easy to keep your system up to
date, or to install new packages.  Upgrades are extremely easy.  Two
commands, and poof, I'm running the new version.  I've been through about 3-4
version upgrades, and it has never been a problem.

David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>