[ale] Debian or Slackware package management

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Nov 8 09:43:21 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 00:39, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Maybe I made it more difficult than it needed to be.  I would get the
> older source rpm and install that.  Then I would put the newer source
> tarball in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and make changes to the spec file to
> use the newer source and check to see if the patches were still needed
> from the older source rpm.  After that a "rpm -ba foo.spec" from within
> the SPECS dir.  Most of the time I could not solve the build problems.
> If there is a better way with Red Hat's rpm then I will try Fedora Core
> instead since I am more used to Red Hat's way of doing things.

That process can be very difficult, as you know.

What I do is get the new tarball and the old spec file and nothing else.
First I make sure the new tarball compiles cleanly and note any
--with-foo flags I need to add to the configure part. It would be good
to use the configure script to generate a requires list, but the src.rpm
won't build if the configure part fails anyway.

Then I strip out (comment, actually) all the flags and patch references
in the old spec file. I substitute in the new version number and set the
build number and run a test build.

The main time factor is making sure all of the files to be installed are
listed. Using the %macros helps. I also hack some setup and tear down
shell scripts when needed and include those in a fresh re-tar of the
source.

Then I get tired and go dig on rpmfind.net for a src.rpm and try
building from that :)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>