[ale] Re: contract work

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 29 14:52:33 EDT 2003

Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 13:19, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
>>So, this has evolved into a totally different thread.  I've changed the
>>subject to reflect as such, but wondering if that's acceptable
>>protocol???  Seriously...
>

> Jumping threads Suits me... When you have been invited to discuss
> possibly providing services to a customer, the customer is total aware
> of the failings and short comings of the system or application in
> question.

This is not true.  Depends on who you're talking to.  Perfect example, I
see folks using excel all the time for what should be a database
solution.  They don't have an IT org, so they do what they can with what
they know.

They know what it will do and what it will not do. To point out
> to them the obvious (Or at least it should be if your the one going to
> provide the services) to the client, pisses them off and further makes
> them vulnerable (Whether perceived or real...).

Again, it depends on the client.

By the very nature of
> corporations and corporate cultures, you stick to what is important to
> them. Not what is important to you or else they *WILL* find another
> vendor of services that understands the importance of what they think is
> relevant. Through time you can change idea's and strategies, but not in
> an instance. It's a Rome was not built in a day kind of thing...

I don't believe you can go in the same way all the time.  You've got to
get a feel for:

1. the client's technical level
2. the client's attitude (help me! vs.  do this..)

Anyone that goes into an opportunity with an attitude that they know it
all, is going to get burned.  I learned a long time ago, everyone's got
something to learn, and everyone's got something they can teach.  I look
at every assignment as providing the opportunity for me to continue my
education, while hoping to share some of my own experiences/expertise
with the client.

Even in large corporations, I've dealt with managers who didn't have a
clue.  When I took an assignment with AT&T HR a while back as the
'webmaster' the hiring manager asked me for a definition.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...