[ale] Which way did the video go?

roncordell at attbi.com roncordell at attbi.com
Wed May 28 11:29:57 EDT 2003

> 1. On RedHat one can simply ssh into anther Box(B), type the name of a program
> and it will be displayed on the screen of Box(A). In Suse, that does not seem
> to be the case - especially when I tried to connect to a RedHat box.
> Where does the video go?
> How do I make a default global setting that will make Suse act like RedHat?

This works ok for me by entering ssh -X server app_name on the command line. For example,
ssh -X 192.168.0.3 xterm &

(I run SuSE 8.2).

> 2. I have installed 3 3D video cards (Nvidia, ATI, Matrox) on Suse 8.2 right
> after install. When I try to play TuxRacer, UT, or FlightGear(I think) I get
> greeted with a black screen. The sound of the games is fine. Other games
> FooBilliard and Racer work perfectly. Though I did not have working 3D video
> on 8.1, I remember that TuxRacer would display [slowly] without 3D
> acceleration. This problem seems to be limited to Suse 8.2. I don't even know
> where to look to fine the little men that steal the 3D display and paint a
> black screen.
> Where does the 3D video go?
> Where do I change the setting so that it will export to the screen?

This was a question that turned up on the SuSE English mailing list yesterday. The answer had something
to do with going into the Tux Racer configuration file and setting the display resolution to something
better than 640x480. Check the SuSE mailing list archives in the past couple of days for the exact
answer.