[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

Raju mr at 4securenet.com
Tue May 27 19:03:03 EDT 2003

I am a consultant for over 7 years (worked on projects ranging from
deploying protocols such as MPLS (re-engineering Tier1 backones on the Net
(AT&T)) to working currently as a Sys Admin for Telecom shop (much smaller
relatively speaking). Yes, I am also an H1B.

To me the numbers don't add up. I am including a short note from a letter
written by our  CCO (also my Boss:)) about outsourcing perspectives to a
paper in the Bay Area. (I did not get any permission from him to include
this, so please understand why I didn't include any names).

---
"f you look at the Indian companies, the largest one's are Tata Consultancy,
Infosys, Wipro.   Followed by many others
like Cognizant, HCL, Hughes, Mphasis etc.

The largest 3 employ 20,000, 15,000 and 13,000 employees.  The next 100
probably employ the same number combined.

This would imply that the total number of jobs outsourced to India, is in
the order of 100K - Even if you add up IBM, Accenture
etc. who've setup shop there and are outsourcing.
.
I am sure this number is growing, but it is not growing exponentially that
it'll be 500K next year and 1M the year after.

Yes, there is a trend starting up to outsource/offshore clerical work
(called Business process outsourcing), but even that
cannot grow at the rates the people are predicting.

The US economy has lost 2 - 3 Million jobs in the last 2 years.  I dont
think it is fair to blame, offshoring to India or other countries
for this.  I can completely understand that after having the economy go down
the way it has, companies choose to
outsource to save costs and show profitability (which the stock holders
want) and that hurts.

The Flip side of this argument is that the US imports 100 - 200K technical
workers on H1, L1 and other visa catagories to work
in the US to cover the shortage of tech workers.  Well, we have the
opportunity to not import the workers, but export the work.
In the long run I think it helps the economy of both countries.

In the short run, some of us feel more pain than others."

----

To quote George" But hey, what would I know?  I'm just a foreigner"

-Raju

> As a web developer working in the US on an H1-B, I would suggest that
> sites like http://www.nomoreh1b.com, with their horrible code, poor
> design and reactionary content, demonstrate the necessity for bringing
> developers into the country.  If more people would expend their energies
> on educating themselves, learning to write well and develop clean code
> -- rather than in blaming others for their misfortunes -- they might
> find it easier to find jobs.
>
> But hey, what would I know?  I'm just a foreigner.
>
> --George
>

> On Sun, 25 May 2003, George Johnson wrote:
>
>> Was watching a CNN report tonight about this subject.  Seems that our
>> complaints are getting somewhere gradually as Congress is to bring up
>> the H1B program this fall and decide what to do with it then.
>>
>> Here is a very good site on the subject.  http://www.nomoreh1b.com/
>>
>> I am having some problems getting the video of the Orlando news
>> article to run as the CNN report seems to have the site bogged down a
>> little.
>>
>> George

Murali Raju
Founder & Principal Consultant