[ale] video card recommendation?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue May 27 01:40:57 EDT 2003

The Matrox dual head 32MB card with fan worked also. It is supposedly a
"6400."

What do I mean by "worked"?
I put the card in the box, started the computer, couple clicks in SaX2 and had
3D ability (just tried the FooBilliard cause the other games do weird things
like black screen and start in full screen mode).

Soon (tomorrow) my entire computer system will have the ATI cards (couldn't
find the Matrox in 64MB). And, that means I don't have to spend the extra 15
minutes fumbling with proprietary drivers. Come to think of it, I may not
even *need* to download kernel-source (for video support) anymore.

I just wish that I had corrected the Nvidia mistake a year ago. It won't
happen again.

Drew

> 5. Tried playing Racer (car game that comes with Suse). It works SUCCESS!
> NOTE: Proof of concept!!! I now have a 64MB 3D video card that works with
> no more configuration than required per mouse movement!
> 6. That was done on my "test drive." I KEPT the card in and put my actual
> user hard drive in (the one I try not to test on). It worked straight away
> because I had NOT installed the Nvidia drivers on the drive. I have not
> tried UT or Descent3, however Racer and some pool game "FooBilliard"
> work!!!!!!
>
> Success! Tomorrow, I will go buy two more of the ATI fg18x00 and return the
> Matrox card.
>
> > I hope you didn't put a lot of credence in my Matrox suggestion.  My
> > primary focus was that you should research it on the Xfree site.  Do let
> > us know how it goes though.
>
> 7. I owe it to the list to run the test with the dual head Matrox card. I
> am going to bet that Suse will pick it up immediately on test drive. I am
> tempted to keep the card (dual head sounds sooo cool - but will _I_ use it,
> or will it go the way of the dual nic solution I rigged up?).

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com