[ale] Core files

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri May 23 18:06:32 EDT 2003

I have several core files being created in my home directory when I have
Konq open (about 1 per second).  And when I look at one with strings, I
get about 28,000 lines, but it appears to be related to kdeinit.
Example of the first few lines:

CORE
$X at A
CORE
kdeinit
kdeinit: kio_thumbnail thu
CORE
kdeinit
W?A#
CORE
W?A#
kdeinit: socketpair() failed!
kdeinit: Aborting. Can't make pipe non-blocking:
kdeinit: Aborting. Can't create pipe:
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed:
Could not bind to socket '%s'
kdeinit: Aborting. listen() failed:
kdeinit: Aborting. Can't set permissions on socket:
Wrong permissions of socket '%s'
kdeinit: Aborting. Can't make socket non-blocking:
kdeinit: Aborting. socket() failed:
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to '%s'.
kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to $HOME directory (%s).
kdeinit: Aborting. $HOME directory (%s) does not exist.
kdeinit: Aborting. $HOME not set!
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdeinit: Debug wait activated.
kdeinit: Killing kdeinit/klauncher.
kdeinit: Got SETENV '%s=%s' from klauncher.
kdeinit: SETENV request has invalid format.
kdeinit: Got SETENV '%s=%s' from socket.
kdeinit: Got %s '%s' from %s.
kdeinit: EXEC request has invalid format.
kdeinit: Aborting. Socket name will be too long:
kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
can't initialize dynamic loading: %s
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.

Also, on occasion my CPU will max out and when I run top I see the
culprit is kdeinit.  I am running Mandrake 9.1 with KDE 3.1.1a.  Do I
need a fresh KDE install to fix this?  Or at least Konq?

Thanks.