[ale] APC UPS at Sams :P (1100VA for $118)

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed May 21 09:26:32 EDT 2003

PC Parallel port and a bunch of latches?  If you use the parallel port in EPP mode you can address up to 256 bytes worth of IO, thats 2048 bits worth of IO.  And it can be done pretty cheaply with some simple 74 series logic and a small piece of perf board.

Otherwise, go to http://www.digilentinc.com and buy their FPGA development board for $100 (I have the one based on the Xilinx Spartan 2E chip) and write some FPGA software to turn your parallel port into an IO expander that could do almost anything you can think of.

Mike