[ale] way OT: Matrix runs Un*x

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Fri May 16 11:38:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 20:10, Raju wrote:

> What's funnier than the matrix running Un*x? The matrix runs unpatched
> Un*x! She's able to exploit one of the bugs in ssh V1 and get a root
> shell.

I don't know if anyone noticed, she's not hacking "The Matrix". She's
hacking a system, a normal, plain old computer system, to shut down a
certain facility that is controlled by that computer. Fairly enough, it
runs Unix. This system was inside the Matrix, thus, created by humans.

The Matrix itself doesnt need any OS, at least IMHO. An OS is an
abstraction level created by us to help us understand the system (trough
metaphores) and better manage the resources it provides. Also, it helps
us to avoid screwing up with our buggy code. The machines don't need any
of this. They don't need programming languages, they don't even need
processor instructions. They're perfectly precise. Is all math (in some
weird numeric system) in form of (bio)electricity.

SPOILER ALERT !!!!! BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP !!!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!!

On the third hand, the way things are going now, everybody could be AI,
maybe the Architect is the only human (or non-AI, better said) on the
whole story. Some kid playing with his computer, programming robots. Who
knows?

END SPOILER --  END SPOILER --  END SPOILER --  END SPOILER --

The fact that the third one is still coming, is what has kept me from
pointing out the things I didn't like about reloaded. You gotta treat it
all as one movie, regarding plot, at least.

   -- Jordi

 This is a digitally signed message part