[ale] webpage access authentication in apache

Jerry Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Mon May 12 12:08:54 EDT 2003

	apache process (user/group=nobody/nobody, usually) needs to be
able to transverse down /var/www/passwd and read your passwords file.

On 12 May 2003, Christopher Russell wrote:

#webpage access authentication in apache
#
#QUESTION:
#How should I setup a protected directory for a webpage visitor, in
#apache, (httpd-2.0.40-11.3)?
#I read <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html> but perhaps
#I'm missing something. The instructions clearly give a choice of
#altering the .conf file, which is my choice, versus an .htaccess
#solution. Have I done all that is required with the .conf file?
#
#WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
#The password (in its simplest form) gets created, and delivered to the
#appropriate file. When attempting to access the directory on the webpage
#the "Restricted Files" dialogue box appears, but it will not accept my
#password. Advice to a newbie, please!
#
#The ONLY change I have made to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is below the
#'section' that reads:
#"# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
#viewed by Web clients."
#My only change is:
## CR: May 11, 2003. My attempt at getting auth using directory access.
#<Directory /var/www/html/unix>
#AuthType Basic
#AuthName "Restricted Files"
#AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/passwords
#Require user chris
#</Directory>
## CR: End of my insertion.
#------
#
#Creating the passsword in the terminal window:
#
## /usr/bin/htpasswd -c /var/www/passwd/passwords chris
#New password:
#Re-type new password:
#Adding password for user chris
##
#
## /etc/init.d/httpd restart
#Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
#Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
##
#------
#
#I sure would appreciate being told what did I do wrong!
#
#Thanks in advance,
#Chris
#