[ale] webpage access authentication in apache

Christopher Russell tiger_007 at adelphia.net
Mon May 12 12:06:22 EDT 2003

webpage access authentication in apache

QUESTION:
How should I setup a protected directory for a webpage visitor, in
apache, (httpd-2.0.40-11.3)?
I read <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html> but perhaps
I'm missing something. The instructions clearly give a choice of
altering the .conf file, which is my choice, versus an .htaccess
solution. Have I done all that is required with the .conf file?

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
The password (in its simplest form) gets created, and delivered to the
appropriate file. When attempting to access the directory on the webpage
the "Restricted Files" dialogue box appears, but it will not accept my
password. Advice to a newbie, please!

The ONLY change I have made to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is below the
'section' that reads:
"# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
viewed by Web clients."
My only change is:
# CR: May 11, 2003. My attempt at getting auth using directory access.
<Directory /var/www/html/unix>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/passwords
Require user chris
</Directory>
# CR: End of my insertion.
------

Creating the passsword in the terminal window:

# /usr/bin/htpasswd -c /var/www/passwd/passwords chris
New password:
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user chris
#

# /etc/init.d/httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
#
------

I sure would appreciate being told what did I do wrong!

Thanks in advance,
Chris