[ale] going to apt-rpm

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri May 9 21:18:38 EDT 2003

A small caution from when I tried to install and start using apt-rpm on my RH
7.2 system.

I decided to give apt-rpm a try when I was attempting to update my qt / kde
related packages and running into serious dependency traps.  Several
recommendations for this package install and update system have been on the
list, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Regardless of the updating I did to be sure my rpm database was clean and
current, it seemed the only way apt rpm would let me use it was if I first
allowed it to remove EVERY add-on package that I had ever installed on the
box by sidestepping minor dependencies with rpm -nodeps or -force flags.

I misinterpreted the messages from apt-rpm, with the result that the program
erased some 40 added or updated packages in one foul swoop.

If I ever look at using apt-rpm again, it will get installed as an immediate
follow up to a full distro update.

peace
aaron

On Friday 09 May 2003 16:05, Bob Slaughter wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade my box, and I'm so tired of rpm dependency heck. So
I'm