[ale] Earthlink Spam protection

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu May 8 11:43:10 EDT 2003

[...]

    Joseph> I do, however, see one giant hole in the chellenge/reply
    Joseph> scheme:

    Joseph> Let's say you and I are both using challenges, and we've
    Joseph> never sent one another emails before. I send you an email,
    Joseph> you send me a challenge - but I don't get it, because
    Joseph> you're not in my whitelist. I send you a challenge, which
    Joseph> you don't get because *I'm* not in *your* whitelist. The
    Joseph> prospect of mail challenge loops looms. The obvious
    Joseph> solution is to allow all challenges through, but then
    Joseph> spammers will just disguise their messages as challenges,
    Joseph> and we're back to square one :-(

The way Tagged Message Delivery Agent (TMDA; which I'm probably going
to look into installing again real soon, REALLY I MEAN IT THIS TIME :)
handles this is that you can set up temporary `tagged addresses' which
are only good for a particular sender or a small window of time (a
week or so).  So you send to the unknown person using an address that
won't generate a challenge if the reply's received within a week.

http://tmda.net/

http://tmda.net/config-client.html

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=