[ale] OT: GPL and GNU compilers

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 8 11:39:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:57:26PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Here is one question.  What happens if I create my own library then modify an OSS
> program to call a function in that library.  I assume I must release the modified
> OSS code in source form but not have to release my library.  Maybe just release
> a stud for that library?

It depends on a lot of different things, including the type of OSS
license used.  If the program you modify is GPL, and if you modified it
in such a way that your library is required to be linked to it (either
statically or dynamically), then you must GPL your library as well.
IANAL, of course.  See:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation and
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

Jason