[ale] First Linux crash!

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon May 5 13:51:32 EDT 2003

Geoffrey & Jim,

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 13:20, Geoffrey wrote:
> If it panics, it will try to dump the panic to the console.  That
> doesn't always happen though.  Further, you've got to capture the panic,
> then process it with a program I can't recall the name of, before
> getting any useful info.  If your console is serial, it should still get
> the dump.  Have you checked your logs for any indicators?

	See ksymoops(1).  You give it the kernel image that was running, and
the locations of many other files like System.map, the modules (if any),
and a couple other things.  It'll return the stack trace, and the
instructions around the point it crashed.  If you're running X, you'll
not see the panic message, but it may possibly be in the log.  In that
case, you can feed the log to ksymoops, and it'll intrepret it just
fine.

	The serial console works the best to capture the output.

Danny