[ale] Large File-System Support w/2.4.9 using megaraid driver

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon May 5 13:45:23 EDT 2003

Jonathan,

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 13:08, Jonathan Glass wrote:
> Redhat Advanced Server 2.1, pre-loaded by Dell.
> Kernel: 2.4.9-e.3smp
> libc:  	glibc-2.2.4-26
>
> I'm planning on using ext3, but I cannot get to that point.  The system
> won't recognize (on the megaraid controller) a container over 440 GB (4
> x 146 GB drives).  Anything bigger than that and the size reports a
> negative number, and fdisk cannot see the drive/container.

	Okay, from the FAQs I've checked, glibc-2.2.X includes the large file
definition stuff.  I'm not sure about kernel 2.4.9, but I'm starting to
think that you're looking in the right direction, as according to the
XFS faq, the kernel/XFS combo can handle filesystems up to 16 TB no
problem.  After that, you're out of room in the buffer cache (the index
is 32 bits).

	Good luck!

Danny