[ale] [OT] Toshiba Satellite 2505 RAM

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 08:51:12 EST 2003

Mike Lockhart <backpacker at hikers.net> writes:

> Did you check the BIOS settings?  I know that my IBM has some BIOS
> settings for RAM, yours might also.  Just a thought. Hope it helps.

There doesn't seem to be a BIOS setup program; or if there is,
I have no idea how to access it. There's a DOS-mode progam called
TSETUP.EXE that appears to fulfill the functions normally
provided by the BIOS setup utility, but it does not permit
the amount of memory to be set.

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka

> - mike
>
> On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 23:59, Joe wrote:
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > Thanks again to the guys who pointed me at the Compaq tech-support
> > site a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to install new RAM
> > in my Armada laptop.
> >
> > I have a similar problem today, with a Toshiba Satellite 2505 that I'm
> > trying to upgrade for a friend. I can physically install the RAM,
> > but the machine won't recognize it. I've tried two different SODIMMs,
> > both known to work in another machine. Neither Win98 nor Linux (Toms)
> > recognize the additional RAM; booting Linux with "mem=<real amount>"
> > results in a kernel panic early in boot, so I'm guessing there's a DIP
> > switch or something somewhere that I need to flip to tell it to use
> > the new RAM. But Toshiba has not been considerate enough to make the
> > service manual for this beastie available via WWW.
> >
> > So, has anyone done a RAM upgrade on one of these things?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Joe Knapka

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me