[ale] beowulf clustering

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 20 21:32:56 EST 2003

PVM and MPI are used to split up parallel processing tasks to multiple
machines. Mosix makes a "cluster" look like a big box. It just farms out
tasks to whatever cpu is snoozing. It really doesn't do parallel
processing. So offloading some number crunching from a busy box to a not
busy box sounds like a good use for Mosix.

If the Mosix process is reniced to a higher number than most user space
processes (0), then the shared process will take a backseat to the
keyboard pounder. By setting it to a nice of around 10, it will only
wake up and get cpu time in a manner similar to seti-at-home.