[ale] RH - disappointing

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 16 21:36:09 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 19:13, Chuck Huber wrote:
> Okay, I'm all in favor of RedHat making a buck or two, but why
> do they have to hit me with $60 per system per year to keep it updated?
>
> I wouldn't mind paying $60 per year for me to keep up all the systems
> for which I'm responsible (10 or so), but asking $600 a year is, like
> way, WAY too much.
>
> I've really enjoyed the up2date service and have gotten quite used
> to the ease of installing new packages and keeping existing ones up
> to date.  However, their new pricing strategy is driving me elsewhere.

Yes, it amazes me that corporations (like the ones involved in the RIAA)
shoot themselves in the foot by over-charging for their products- when,
eventually, a lower-priced product would earn just as much for them due
to higher proliferation (if it's a decent product, and RH is one of
those).

Look at the AOHELL "music subscription" service.  Pay a huge fee each
month to be a part of it, then another huge fee for downloading rights
for each song.

Why not just charge a freakin' dime a song, like the old jukeboxs used
to?  Hell, even a teenager could set-up a pay-pal account with 20-30 bux
in it to spend each month...

And give half that dime to the artists- which would more than double
their current income on the music they produce...

> With that said... I'd like to get some input from y'all on other
> distributions since I haven't fooled around with anything except
> RedHat.  If you have a favourite, I'd like to hear what it is,
> why you prefer it over others, and any shortcomings you've encountered.

Slackware.

I've used Slack since 1994 or thereabouts (don't remember the exact
year)- starting simply because I could get zipslack to install on a
MSDOS partition on the 4-meg 386 I had running at the time (no X, of
course) and I was curious about unix and unix-like systems- having toyed
with several of the telephone company's Sun boxes, due to a
buffer-overflow in the sun dial-up server at the time. Pick up the phone
and hit it with a bit of line-noise for a few seconds and you were at a
bash prompt.

I discovered this quite by accident, BTW, when someone picked up the
phone in my house when I was using the hellsouth (supposedly) limited
lynx account provided to inform you about ISDN to surf the net.

I've been a Slack user ever since- though I've tried RH and fooled with
Mandrake and SUSE.  I always come back to Slack because I'm USED to it,
basically.  I know which files I have to edit and exactly how to do it
to make my box do what I want, and I know exactly where they are.

It's free (unless you want to buy the CD), and if you know what you're
doing, you can do anything with it.

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com