[ale] ...I am free (or SpeedFactory rocks!)

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Mar 15 20:54:46 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 19:49, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> After finally giving up on BellSouth and PPPOE (while service was good
> overall, an increasing amount of connection drops due to PPPOE was driving
> me crazy), I bit the bullet and fronted the $150 for SpeedFactory's static
> ip router.

The only way to go.

> Man, this was the greatest investment I've ever made.  I've been with them
> about a week and having a great time.  With BS, I could expect a
> connection drop every hour at the least, sometimes coming as often as
> every five minutes....very infuriating when trying to download large files
> or listen to internet radio, or when you have approx. 10 remote xterms
> going and you're forced to restart them all.

I've got a tunnel going between 2 speed factory sites.  The tunnel has
been up for 2 weeks without any diconnect or failure.

Plus I have shells open on one machine from a remote box.  They are
still open.

I also have a slave database running remotely from a database and one
location.

> With SpeedFactory, I pay $10 more per month for static IP and no PPPOE.  A
> STEAL.  I've been comparing average transfer rates with those I was
> getting on BS and SF has been averaging around 25% faster.

$60 is not a bad pice for the no PPPOE and No DHCP crap.  Plus the
support is of high quality.

> And I haven't had to reset the connection once.  It never goes down.

The only thing that have reset my connections have been power.  I've
not had an issue.  On the flip side, I had to reset my connection on
DirectTV at one location roughly once or more per month.