[ale] CRISIS -> boot/root floppy needed..........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon Mar 3 17:39:20 EST 2003

Bob,

Thank you for writing.

I have your book and have not needed it in so long that I mislaid it but
thanks to your message have taken the time to dig it out and will heed
your advice.

I have the 2001 edition. Has much changed ?

Cordially,
Courtney

Transam wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:27:14AM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>
>>Good Morning !
>>

>>I am running RH6.1 because of an Oracle installation and need to leave
>>it alone for now, however, any guidance regarding SPECIFICS of upgrading
>>the OS and Oracle would be appreciated.
>>

>>Setup:
>>	bootup uses dpt_i2o		<- OS hard drive scsi driver
>>	oracle uses eata		<- scsi raid driver for oracle
>>	tape drive uses dc390x_ncr	<- scsi tape driver
>>

>>Dilemma:
>>	no boot/root floppy, other than a custom one, is going to have the
>>dpt_i2o & dc390x_ncr drivers, since they are non-standard scsi drivers.
>>So, the boot floppy must afford the opportunity to install dpt_i2o at
>>bootup, which is done by mkbootdisk under RH6.1.
>>

>>And, once the OS hard drive is up, the eata & dc390x_ncr modules must be
>>installed before unmounting the OS hard drive, to provide quiescent OS
>>and raid hard drives for tape backup. This assumes, of course, these
>>modules would remain available after OS hard drive unmounting.
>>

>>But, the aforedescribed boot floppy asks for a root floppy, which is not
>>provided AFAIK by RH6.1. I have more pressing needs than spending
>>unknown hours whittling away on such a root floppy.
>>

>>Is there a 'downloadable' root floppy that can meet these requirements ?
>>

>>If not, please precisely summarize the most efficient way to create said
>>root floppy.
>>

> Keep in mind that your Rescue boot floppy or Rescue boot and root floppies
> or Rescue CD does NOT have to be the same distribution as what is on disk
> nor does it need to be the same version nor even close.
>
> The only requirement is that it has the drivers for the devices and
> file systems you need to access (e.g., disk, tape if tape restore is needed,
> ext2 and/or ext3, etc).
>
> There are a few ways to deal with this:
>
> 1. Build a kernel with these devices built-in (not as loadable modules).
>    Be sure to include the RAMDISK file system type.  If you are building
>    for a Rescue boot and root floppy pair, be sure to include:
>
>         rdev -r /dev/fd0 49152
>
>    so that a RAMDISK will be set up and the process will prompt you
>    to change floppies.
>
>    Copy that kernel to a floppy to be your boot kernel.
>
> 2. Use tar to write the device drivers to a separate floppy, boot from
>    Rescue media, use tar to load the device drivers to RAMDISK and
>    use insmod to load to memory.
>
> 3. Build a custom Rescue root floppy that contains the device driver modules
>    and a rc.local to load them.  Building a custom Rescue root floppy
>    is explained in "Real World Linux Security"; check the index under
>    "Rescue Disks, custom".
>

>>Else, what do you recommend ?
>>

>>Appreciatively,
>>Courtney
>>

> Bob Toxen
> bob at verysecurelinux.com               [Please use for email to me]
> [...]

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]