[ale] RH8.0: first impressions

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 2 19:19:44 EST 2003

cfowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> I did an strace to see what wland actually did.  It seems that it is a
> program that allows configuration of a card and it not required during
> communications on that network.  It must be required since ifconfig is
> really clueless of SSID's, WEP, and other 802.11b features.  So a user
> land program is only required to get the card up and running in the
> first place.  Kismet will also use this method to configure the card for
> use with kismet.

This doesn't sound familiar to me at all. What I did was:

- Ensure I had a configured kernel tree for the kernel I'm running.
  That kernel must have PCMCIA *disabled*.
- Build and install pcmcia_cs.
- Build and install wlan-ng.
- Hack the /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts file to match my setup (SSID,
  WEP keys, etc.)
- Pop the card in the slot.

Wlan-ng (and *all* the wireless PCMCIA stuff, AFAIK) uses the "iwconfig"
utility to configure wireless parameters like SSID and so forth. I never
had to start any userland daemon to make my Prism2 card work.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka