[ale] who is the fastest bash scripter?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 25 11:44:45 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:39:20AM -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2003 06:00 pm, David S. Jackson wrote:
> > You know, you're calling an extra echo command and doing a conditional
> > check (&&) when all you need to do is tell grep to include the filename
> > in its printout.  (See the -H switch in man grep.)  No need to call any
> > other utilities or spawn any other processes.
>
> This doesn't sound right to me.  Since grep is reading from stdin in these
> scripts it can't possibly know the name of the file.

You're right.  I knew there was something wrong with using the -H switch
in this circumstance, but I never went back and investigated why after
David's post.  Also, if you don't care about grep's output, you can
redirect it to /dev/null, and just get the name of the jar file.

Then again, if that's what you want, you could just do "grep -H *.jar".

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9