[ale] voting machine redux

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Feb 25 11:39:54 EST 2003

Interesting article on Salon that touches on many of the issues surrounding
voting machines discussed here last year, and some we missed.  The author
does talk a lot about the lack of audit trail most of us are aware of with
computerized voting.  More interesting to me was a Senator that holds a
major stake in the voting machine company that tabulates the votes in his
own state.  And he won in a landslide.   Hmmm.

I was amused by this:

    Harris has discovered, for example, that Diebold, the company that
    supplied touch-screen voting machines to Georgia during the 2002
    election, made its system's sensitive software files available on a
    public Internet site.

It is said like that's a bad thing!  I say, "Kudos to Diebold".  If I were
on the elections commission I would say that is a prerequisite for any
voting software.

Here's the article:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/20/voting_machines/index.html?x

Michael