[ale] OT: eBay sez: "No subpoena needed!"

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 21 19:34:21 EST 2003

Silicon Valley, by way of Ha'aretz reported this little gem today.  Joseph
Sullivan, eBay's director of "law enforcement and compliance," recently made
a speech in Israel, where he made the following statements:

"When someone uses our site and clicks on the 'I Agree' button, it is as if he
agrees to let us submit all of his data to the legal authorities. Which means
that if you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to do is send us a
fax with a request for information, and ask about the person behind the
seller's identity number, and we will provide you with his name, address,
sales history and other details - all without having to produce a court
order. We want law enforcement people to spend time on our site."

This means any law enforcement officer can request all of your personal
information from eBay, for any reason, and they will cheerfully comply. Just
goes to show you what can be lurking behind those "I Agree" buttons.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/5233146.htm

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=264863&contrassID=2&subContrassID=5&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y