[ale] network problem

Transam transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Feb 17 21:50:23 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:13:16AM -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I added two nics to my server.

> Now the clients cannot ping the server. The server cannot ping the clients.
> The server can ping yahoo, the clients can ping each other.
> What do I do? I don't even know where to start. I ran a netstat -i, but I
> don't even know what I am looking at.

Have you considered that the two cards may have different MAC addresses
and that a packet coming on one board is being responded to from the
other one?  Monitoring the pings and such with Ethereal or tcpdump should
answer this.  A less likely possibility is that the bonding driver is
not handling TCP sequence numbers correctly.

Just a guess...

> --
> Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> Drew Brown
> http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]