[ale] adding swap? was "that same darn NFS problem SOLVED"

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Feb 17 19:48:23 EST 2003

This does sound like just inordinate swap usage.  However, given that
that's the case...

One of the first things that needs to happen is that you need to max out
the physical RAM.  It's silly to worry about your swap I/O until you've
done that.

Once you've maxed out on RAM, however, attention should be paid to 1)
getting swap disk I/O separated from all other disk I/O and 2) making
the swap disk I/O as fast and efficient as possible.

If your server has a hardware RAID controller - not one of the cheapie
IDE ones that are actually performing the RAID in the driver but an
honest-to-goodness SCSI RAID controller - then swap needs to get onto
its own bus (in the case of a multichannel card) or its own card.  Don't
configure a swap array on such a card as RAID 5; you don't want the
parity calculations to slow you down

Only if you have a proper RAID controller should you attempt to put swap
on a RAID array.  There is not much point to using kernel RAID for swap;
for one thing, if you create more than one swap partition and set them
up properly in /etc/fstab, the kernel will use them in a RAIDlike
capacity, however, in fstab there is a priority setting that is useful
when you're working with cobbled-together junk like I usually do. In any
case, the point of the exercise is to separate the data flow caused by
swap as much as possible.  For instance, if you had an opportunity to
dedicate two disk drives to swap, it would be better to put them on
separate controllers than on the same controller.

I probably should point out that if you still are hunting for more
server power (in the aggregate sense), use solid state drives for swap.
Again, there is no point in doing this if you have not already maxxed
out the amount of physical RAM in the machine you're working on.

The *size* of a swap partition is not all that meaningful.  It does
represent a "hard wall" in your total virtual memory size that you
cannot get past, but a 512MB RAM box with 2GB of swap space does *not*
constitute a significant improvement over the same box with 4GB of swap
space.  Believe me, by the time nearly 2GB of swap space is actively in
use, the machine is going to be so far into the weeds it'll be almost
useless.

The way I like to think of a loaded-up VM OS such as Linux is as a
graph, expressed roughly as performance as a function of load.  The
graph line will run from some maximum at nearly zero load and slope
downward fairly gently until physical RAM is nearly used up; at this
point the graph line will "knee" downward and at higher load amounts
than that, the line straightens out again but a significantly steeper
slope.  This continues until the line falls to the bottom of the graph;
at this point the machine simply can't get out of its own way.

The two things you want to have some control over are how gentle or
sharp the "knee" is and how steep the line decays under higher loads.
What you'd like to do is keep the machine running at a load level just
below the knee but perhaps tipping into it or a little beyond in peak
load situations.

Back in my VMS days, when system load ramped up, there would actually be
a pronounced slowdown for a while because the OS was frantically trying
to sort itself out as it began using swap.

In your situation, though, I wonder what difference it might make to use
one of the newer kernels with the preemptible-kernel path folded in;
that may improve the situation with your NIC.

- Jeff