[ale] kimset

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Feb 11 22:13:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

Be advised...

> Using kismet you should be able to find the SSID of it.  Pop that SSID
> into your config and try and run dhcpcd or pump.  If you get an
> IP/GW/etc you should be on the network.  If you don't, it's probably

Once you move past this point....

> encrypted.  Luckily, kismet can crack WEP in a few minutes (just under
> about 1000 packets needed).  Kismet + GPSdrive + WiFi antenna +
> pda/dashpc/notebook = lots of fun.

You're on shaky ground, and in my not so humble opinion, deserve whatever
you get. Detecting networks is one thing, perfectly acceptable. Accessing
them when they're wide open and inviting you in is a grey area. Blatantly
circumventing access controls, however weak and useless, is a
crime...period.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security