[ale] OT: VB analysis tools

Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM
Mon Feb 3 13:26:19 EST 2003

Actually, IMHO this would be significantly non-trivial.  Microsoft engineered a 'code-migrator' to translate VB 6.0 to VB.NET code, and it doesn't even work that well going from one version of the language to the next.  The languages are syntactically similar, but the underlying concepts and libraries are different enough to make this a difficult task.  Even Microsoft suggests that migrations from VB 6 will require significant re-writing of code.  I doubt that it would be any simpler for a non-BASIC based language.

I'm not aware of any open source tools that might make this easier, but you might find some of the pricier architectual tools from the likes of Rational might help you reverse-gen something at the high level design layer.

my $.02US

Jerry Dennany

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe [mailto:jknapka at earthlink.net]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 10:54 AM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: VB analysis tools

This would be a cool project: automatic translation of VB to, say,
Python. Syntactically it would be pretty simple, I think. The hard
(fun) part would be reproducing the functionality of the visual pieces
and the underlying M$ services. But even there, an interim solution
would be to wire up the Python code to existing Winblows APIs using
Python's win32/COM libs; development of portable replacements for the
high-level Win services would provide interesting ongoing work.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka