[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Dec 30 13:48:05 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 11:08, Stephen Touset wrote:
> Unfortunately, most of the weight lost in the initial few weeks of the
> Atkins diet is water;
Obviously you have not been on the diet. Otherwise you would *see*  that your
body becomes more trim. Also, people that diet tend to be more concerned
about their excercise and vice versa. When I am on the diet I drink a LOT
more water (often 2 Liters straight before riding,  close to 2 liters riding
15 miles on the bike, 2 liters of sugar free koolaid for the rest of the
day). Also, I skip beer, caffine/chocolate. You are implying that the diet
ITSELF works as a diurectic(spelling).

Support that with research.

> Also, I've never been a fan of treating symptoms. Most often, being
> overweight is a symptom of larger health concerns--bad eating habits, lack
> of exercise, etc.

People that diet tend to . . .. excercise more. Though I don't have the
article that says that, from my own experience and watching others, I can see
that the diet is a great way to start new habits. Go on the diet for a week,
and you will find it only neccessary to each once a day. Other times of the
day you may not feel hungry at all. This gives a person time to "get over"
bad eating habits, start from scratch and become more health conscious.

> What you need to be treating is your health, not the
> weight.

No. I disagree. I feel that you need to treat BOTH.
Why? Atkins drops weight so fast, a person can see results. They are rewarded
for their effort more quickly, and therefore the is less time to "give up."
In my case I can drop the weight faster than I pick it up. I think most "hard
core (*zero* carb for a week - or more) Atkins dieters would say the same.

> While Atkins may do a great job of dropping those scale numbers, it
> also does a nice job of completely messing up the chemistry your body was
> designed to handle, which can't be healthy.

Support that with some reasearch please. You claim it messes up the chemistry,
it sucks the water right out of your body through the skin like a vampire. :)
You fail to mention anything about the effects of obesity. You fail to mention
that the Atkins diet forces the dieter away from McDonald's, extra desert,
and poor food combinations. You fail to mention how the Atkins diet forces us
to WATCH what we eat.

> And in the end, it's not the
> numbers on the scale that determine how long your heart keeps ticking, but
> the other ones which get ignored when people equate being thin and light
> with being healthy.

Hell the articles I posted before disagree. In one article I think it mentions
"obesity trumps a lot of other health issues."
Your attitude seems to be that someone is going to get on the Atkins diet
eating only steak forever, not work out, not take vitamins, and actually
become anorexic. It seems like you don't have experience with the diet, and
don't know anyone who has either.

The Atkins diet is visually, emotionally and physically rewarding.
One does not have to do it "forever," and is still a great tool for reaching
health goals.

Read Jeff Hubs WORDS below and you will see he lost weight, he changed his
eating habits, he is successful. THAT is what Atkins is about.
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com