[ale] Any experience w/D-Link wired DSL routers?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 16 11:33:15 EST 2003

Subject: Re: [ale] Any experience w/D-Link wired DSL routers?

Back to the router topic. I've used both Linksys and Netgear (with BellSouth
DSL and a Westell router/modem w/ethernet interface). Both were extremely
simple to set up. Both did dhcp well. Also supported PPPoE.

The Netgear offers a larger list for keyword blocking (think it was
something like 99 keywords, maybe more - don't remember exactly). Linksys
doesn't offer much there. I do not remember Netgear supporting SNMP, but my
Linksys BEFSX41 router does.

I ended up sticking with Linksys for a wired router, and expanded it several
months later by using a Linksys WAP for wireless (I also have a wireless
Ethernet bridge and a wireless Windows laptop).

Logging has been a bit of a problem, I did have the Linksys router logging
syslog - but am looking for a better solution (like maybe LinkLogger or
somehing
like that).