[ale] [OT] Online Bill Pay

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 4 21:53:31 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 21:27, David Corbin wrote:
> I've seen some threads about this before, so I don't feel too bad about
> bringing it up.  I recently started online bill pay with Wachovia + Quicken.
>
> I found out the hard way, there is no way to find if a payment is sent
> electronically or via snailMail (short of speaking with a person), and
> there's no way to print out a confirmation of single payment (something you
> can show the bill-er as proof).
>
> Can anyone tell me if other banks/bill pay services have better support for
> this?

They all stink. Read the fine print and it is all the same. You must
authorize the transaction to occur 5 business days before the due date
of the bill. This is how CheckFree (scum) makes the bulk of their money.
They trade on the float time since that cash is pulled out of your
account immediately. Then they issue a paper check that takes another
2-3 days to clear back to them for a bit more cash.

The alternative is a direct pay echeck from your checking account. But
some places treat that as a wire transfer which costs $12-$25!

Get an AmEx card that does the airline miles. Pay for _everything_ on
the AmEx. Send AmEx one check for whole schmear each month. Saves you
time and money and you rack up airline miles.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>