[ale] [OT] Residential Data/Voice/Video Wiring

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Dec 1 18:08:28 EST 2003

Mike Murphy wrote:

> Last idea: General contractors and electrical contractors that have
> been building new housing in the atlanta area should have at least
> enough experience in this by now to be able to find someone to
> consult/help, or at least admit that they don't have a clue. That is,
> of course, if said contract is honest...

You're kidding right?  Last time I checked, all you needed to be a
builder in Georgia is the money to pay for the license.  No code test
required.  That being said, I've met many an electrician who didn't know
squat about cat5 and/or video.

I don't believe there are code requirements for cat5 or video in a home.
  Anyone know if I'm wrong?  I know that in my previous home, the cable
company stuck a 2" piece of copper wire (probably 10 gauge) into the
earth for the ground.  When I questioned that solution, I was told that
there were no code restrictions for cable at the time.  That was a while
ago though.

I personally would never use an electrician for anything but, well,
electrical...

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net