[ale] What to use

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue Apr 22 19:35:05 EDT 2003

> I suspect Perl 6 is going to address a lot of the common complaints of
> Perl.  It's really a great language (the swiss army chainsaw, as they
> say), and can be used very productively for enterprise applications.
>
> However, for large apps you *have* to choose a way of doing something
> and then insure the rest of your code follows that standard...iow,
> restrict yourself even though the language doesn't.  If you don't follow
> this sort of approach, a large app shared among 5 different Perl
> developers (each with their own style) can be hard to read ;-).

I've seen perl used in large scale apps.  The major concern is that you
need to define coding styles for your programmer(s) to use, and choose
"preferred" mechanisms

Basically, while there IS "more than one way to do it", you get to decide
"THIS is OUR way to do it" :o

And perl6 looks really neat :o  but it's still way away :(

--attriel