[ale] Searching for C exp.

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 21 21:32:05 EDT 2003

John,

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 15:50, John Wells wrote:
> What would you recommend?  Should I start by joining an os project in C
> and get involved?  I'd consider working on my own, but I'd like to learn
> the intricacies of designing in C, the tricks of the trade, the gotchas,
> common practices, etc., and I don't think a project of my own would
> provide as much insight in that way.

	While some may tire of me always suggesting the same thing, I still
recommend, "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike.
It's old, but many Borders and B&N have it on their shelves.  It takes
you through shell scripting through C development using standard I/O,
through yacc and lex.  I highly recommend it!

Danny